Internal Ping Monitor
The Internal Ping Monitor verifies the availability/running-status of all network elements NEs, such as – servers, routers, L3 switches, and other NEs with an IP address. This monitor automatically verifies, and reports whether NE is available, and responding to ping requests. This is an agent based monitor, which checks the health of any network element via a monitoring service agent software installed on a computer in the internal network. The monitoring service platform allows you to specify a private IP address (internal network address) for the monitoring agent installed on an internal computer with the help of monitor settings option.
Creating Internal Ping Monitor
The Internal Ping Monitor is created in two major steps/activities listed below.
- Installing the Monitoring Service Agent software on the computer in the internal network
- Completing the Internal Ping Monitor Settings
Installing Monitoring Service Agent Software on the Computer in the Internal Network
To install the monitoring service agent software on any computer in the internal network, take the following procedure.
- Log into the computer that you want to use to observe ping response from different hosts, and network elements with the administrator privileges.
- Log into your monitoring service subscription via a web browser. The monitoring service control panel appears.
- Click either the Monitors link in the left navigation pane or the Create button and choose the Monitor option. A list of different monitors appears.
- Click any link under Device/Server monitors, for example – Windows Server Usage Monitor, SQL Server Usage Monitor, or Web Server Usage Monitor links. The Create New Windows/SQL/Web Server Usage Monitor window appears.
- Click the Download the Agent link. The monitoring service agent software will download on your computer.
- Run the Agent Software's setup file to install on the computer in your internal network.
- Click the Next button. The Authorization window appears.
- Enter the Email, and Password to access your monitoring service subscription. The Application Key field appears.
- Enter the Application Key by copying from the Create New Windows/Web/SQL Server Usage Monitor page.
- Click the Next button. The Installation Features window appears.
- Select the Ping Monitor check box to choose the ping feature of the monitor.
- Click the Next button. And select the installation folder. The monitoring service agent software starts installing in the specified folder.
- The Ping Monitor feature will automatically be created in the monitoring service control panel.
For more information on installing the monitoring service agent software, read Installing SiteObservers Agent Software
Completing Internal Ping Monitor Settings
To display the internal ping monitor settings, click either the Monitors link in the left navigation pane or the Create button, and choose the Monitor option. The list of different monitors appears. Click the Internal Ping Monitor link. The Create New Ping Monitor modal window will appear.
Fill in the monitor setting fields as explained below, and click the Add button, once done with the completion of the form.
Enter the desired name for this monitor (up to 50 characters) in the Monitor Name field. To make it easier to understand, the name should be structured and intuitive.
Enter the time interval to specify how frequently the monitor should send the ping request to the network elements or hosts on the internal network. The pull-down menu lets you specify time increments of minutes, hours or days.
Every monitor is required to be associated with one monitor group. You need to create a monitor group before creating a monitor, or you can create a monitor in default group that is automatically created by our monitoring service platform. Choose the desired monitor group name from the pull-down menu.
For more information on monitor groups, read Managing monitor groups
Enter the domain name of the host that you want to monitor through ping response (for example, yourserver.com). You can also enter the IP address (Internal Network) to specify the ping address instead of the domain name (for example, 192.168.1.100).
The Monitoring Agents field allows you to specify the agent to send ping through internal ping monitor. A list of existing monitoring agents installed on a particular computer will appear in the drop down list. Choose the desired monitoring agent via the drop-down menu.
Choose the contacts who will have access to this monitor from the existing contact list. You can select one or more than one check-boxes to choose the contacts.
You can instruct our monitoring service platform to alert you when it detects a failure in the internal ping response. Our monitoring service software offers several types of notifications including emails, and SMS. You can temporary disable the alert generation by choosing the desired time interval (1 to 24 hours), and selecting the Disable Alert for Next check-box.
To configure alerts, choose the following parameters:
This option allows you to define when you should be alerted about the ping response failure. You can configure the alert to notify you about any ping failures only after a specific consecutive number of failures according to the values configured by you. Our monitoring service software platform support the immediately after a failure or after 2 to 5 consecutive failures options. You can choose your desired notification configuration.
This option lets you escalate the internal ping response failure to a particular contact group, if the ping failure exceeds the duration of time set for escalation. Our monitoring service platform supports the time increments from 15 minutes to 12 hours.
This option lets you choose whom to escalate to by choosing a contact group name from the drop-down list. Choose the desired group or all groups in the list.
Notify when the failure has been cleared
Notification when the failure of ping response has been cleared can be configured by choosing the desired contact group, and selecting the Notify when the failure has been cleared to check-box.
Send alerts to the following alert notification groups
This option allows you to select the check-boxes against the existing notification groups.
For more information on alerts, read How to configure alerts?
Monitor Estimated Monthly Cost
This is an automatic monthly cost calculator based on the settings of your monitor. Our monitoring service software platform supports the monthly cost calculator function to provide an estimated costs to the client. It displays the estimated monthly credits, monthly checks, your selected monitoring locations, monitoring intervals, and the number of checks per credit.
For more information on billing, read Understanding billing
These are no advanced options for the Internal Ping Monitor.
Monitor Execution Status
There are three major statuses that our monitoring service software supports, as given below:
The warnings and alerts are generated in case of degradation of service, and the complete failure of service, respectively. The warnings and alerts are logged in the monitor execution details as well as sent to the specified groups through emails, and SMS. The Success status is not sent out to the concerned personnel, but it is recorded in the monitor execution details section. The details of website performance, and monitor check execution status can be viewed, and retrieved through the control panel of our monitoring service software platform.